SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Old School Shop Owner Saying Hello
Page 1 of 1    

Old School Shop Owner Saying Hello

script
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys,

I used to run a skateboard shop back in 89-90 in California. Sold it for a loss. I was a kid (1 and my parents were the investors so I didn't know what the heck I was doing.

Anyway I was surfing Google looking for info on setting up my own brand and found this forum, so I thought I'd pop in and say hello.

If anyone has suggestions on setting up their own brand let me know.

I'm not really interested in setting up a shop again because I don't want to have to run the place. There's no profit if I'm not there running it paying my staff to run the place for me...

But I've considered a park/shop combo, but I'm guessing this is cost prohibitive to?

slowave7
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Did you keep any of the product from the shop you sold?

Where was it at in CA? Maybe I spent some cash at your shop back then.....

There are 10 or 12 shop owners + various industry type characters on the forum. They'll chime in eventually, or hit them with a PM.

Welcome to the darkside, BTW.

Soulcrusher
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
script wrote:
Hey guys,

I used to run a skateboard shop back in 89-90 in California. Sold it for a loss. I was a kid (1 and my parents were the investors so I didn't know what the heck I was doing.

Anyway I was surfing Google looking for info on setting up my own brand and found this forum, so I thought I'd pop in and say hello.

If anyone has suggestions on setting up their own brand let me know.

I'm not really interested in setting up a shop again because I don't want to have to run the place. There's no profit if I'm not there running it paying my staff to run the place for me...

But I've considered a park/shop combo, but I'm guessing this is cost prohibitive to?

When you say own brand, are you talking about a line of boards? Or more specifically just a shop? maybe a home run business?
Lincolnz
Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote
Word of advise.

Stay away from American Skateboard Factory!

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:34 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips.

The shop was in Highland CA called "Harsh Reality Skateboards". It was off Highland Ave and was at the last light before you go up to Big Bear.

By starting my own brand I mean my own brand of skate gear. Boards, Wheels, Soft Goods, etc. I'd start with boards and apparel.

My own home business? I already run one of those. I'm self employed. I have my own web sites and such in other industries that make me a decent living online.

As far as running a shop goes... Perhaps someday but I would see it more as a chain of shops in an area instead of just a single shop. I think you can leverage your money better that way in terms of marketing and in terms of volume of business you do. Even if each shop only made you a small profit, by having 3 or 4 or whatever you actually turn a decent living doing it.

krayola
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Feb 2007 Posts: 15449 Location: R'lyeh 47°9′S 126°43′W / 47.15°S 126.717°W / -47.15; -126.717
script wrote:
Thanks for the tips.

The shop was in Highland CA called "Harsh Reality Skateboards". It was off Highland Ave and was at the last light before you go up to Big Bear.

By starting my own brand I mean my own brand of skate gear. Boards, Wheels, Soft Goods, etc. I'd start with boards and apparel.

My own home business? I already run one of those. I'm self employed. I have my own web sites and such in other industries that make me a decent living online.

As far as running a shop goes... Perhaps someday but I would see it more as a chain of shops in an area instead of just a single shop. I think you can leverage your money better that way in terms of marketing and in terms of volume of business you do. Even if each shop only made you a small profit, by having 3 or 4 or whatever you actually turn a decent living doing it.

Honestly, I can say this. You going to possibly go bust if you depend on a a brand to make the rent. The only idea is start out slow, spend the next 3-5 years getting to know people in the industry, getting used to having doors shut in your face and spending a lot of money on possible failures, failed boards, failed wheels. The thing is and I tell this but don't adhere to it is, just have fun.

It's a hard realm, and unless your going to make longboards the established skate realm is played with by few rules and it's who you know, who your affiliated with and those connections take years even if you got 2 million bucks.

Stick with it, and your better off finding an existing property to buy, revitalize and rebuild or specialize in one exact thing like bearings and whatever it is do it well.

Page 1 of 1