SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  B.O.N.O.S.A.  »  When is NOS no longer NOS?
Page 2 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

When is NOS no longer NOS?

When is NOS no longer NOS poll. When do you say "This isn't NOS anymore."

a. out of shrink or box  
1%
  [ 1 ]  1%

b. never set up or worn- no obvious defects or flaws  
28%
  [ 25 ]  28%

c. never set up or worn- with minor scuffs/scratches, discoloration, twisting  
28%
  [ 25 ]  28%

d. never set up or worn- significant scuffs/scratches, discoloration, twisting  
6%
  [ 6 ]  6%

e. never set up or worn- shows delamination or cracks etc.  
2%
  [ 2 ]  2%

f. never set up or worn- regardless of condition  
32%
  [ 28 ]  32%

Total Votes : 87
oldskoolrulz
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
i voted f., it's olds stock that's never been used but could've been stored badly and therefore have issues with condition
SPEEDYFIRST7878
Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 28 Aug 2008 Posts: 3547 Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU LAUGHING !
this is my take on it !!!

NOS = NEW OLD STOCK.

no longer in production , so does not have to be old to fall in to the bracket ?

also does not matter if its in shrink or not as long as it remains un-skated, even factory gripped decks un-skated ?

scratches, dings blaa blaa blaa still nos if un-skated ?

then comes MINT HMMMMMM this is all matter of opinion ???

thats what i think but eahy what do i know
SkaterBonds
Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Just to clarify;

The term New Old Stock would only insinuate old stock versus a newer stock of goods. Or to put it differently; no further present or current stocking of the expressed item by it's rightful distributor. It actually has nothing to do with age. It has to do with being out of production and that is all.

This term is used for any back/ old stock in any industry (ie, car parts, books, music and other media, etc.)

I would consider something to be in NOS condition if it is presently unused by an end consumer for it's intended perpose in any condition, regardless of what the item was.

People seem to mistake the term New Old Stock as a given condition. It only describes a part of the condition. There is such a thing as damaged, blemished, expired and recalled new old stock.

A recall may not even be visibly damaged or blemished, but otherwise flawed enough to be considered unsuitable for it's intended use. This could be something as basic as it's entire design to be considered unsafe for the majority of the targetted market and could be perfectly acceptable to another market.

Even more eccentric, an item could be recalled new old stock based on legal reasons and have absolutely no appearant reasons otherwise to be recalled and discontinued. It's an opinion and nothing more, but the opinion can certainly change it's value, regardless of it's condition.

You wouldn't buy the Mona Lisa from me without risking legal trouble and you would probably pay more of an extreme low or high price on the stolen item if you decided to do business illegally, versus a true fair market value.

A good example of that would be a clock deck. Some Magnesium wheels that were available on performance cars were recalled and destroyed. They are unsuitable for driving on safely, but some purists still put them on their 100 point restoration cars, because they managed to get them at rediculous costs. Magnesium used as a material for a car wheel has a natural expiration date and a lot of race car teams had to discard old wheels into destruction or sub markets, like today's collector markets.

Just like an old Flyaway helmet. Worthless as a safety device, maybe?... but certainly not to the collector... Just something else to think about when considering the conditions that New Old Stock apply to.

In this case, as a skateboard, I would consider all of the above multiple choices given in your survey as legitimate conditions to be described as new old stock and then some, like plastic guard hardware holes (G&S made factory completes) as well as the aformentioned factory grip jobs.

The truth is, all if it is NOS. The rest of the description needs to be applied to give the rest of the item's condition when considering values, if that's what you're getting at.

Last edited by SkaterBonds on Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Titletownjeff
Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
^^Gonna save that post in case I ever have trouble sleeping
SkaterBonds
Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:44 pm Reply with quote
hahahaha...

I restore cars for a living and see all details collide when judges are present. Shit like not using the right kind of grease pen to recreate or "restore" a factory inspection mark on a rear axle housing or using versus not using a grease dob on the positive battery terminal. Yes, some do check for them at certain events.

I honestly think a lot of shit goes overlooked when trying to come up with a described condition in a lot of 2nd hand markets I deal in, but I could fucking care less when it comes to my own things.

I just have to know the useless shit in case someone enquires who actually gives a shit about the inspection mark on the rear axle that I left off.
jt11good
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:38 am Reply with quote
i thought new old stock simply meant:

the item was new at one point of time, but because it didn't sell, it was moved to back storage at a retailer and kept in the exact same condition as if it could be put back on the self and sold as new again.

if no longer in pristine new condition kept at a retailer, it would lose the "new" and then be old stock with a disclaimer of defect or imperfection i.e. storage marks, scratches, warp as appropriate.

if i bought a deck, car, baseball card, comic book whatever, it would no longer be "nos", but will then fall under the "mint to poor" condition grading typically associated and rated against similar items.
SkaterBonds
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
The problem with that is that there was (maybe there still is) leftover stock of skateboard goods, as well as others, that are no longer in pristine condition, but would fall into new or like new condition as described.

If NOS meant mint condition, you couldn't consider any amount of blemish due to age and storage as NOS, which just isn't feasable, because the item could still be unused. One blemish would then knock that item out of NOS condition, if that were true.

Skateboard wheels, for example, in a lot of old stock warehouses, especially in bright colors like pink and white have often shown discoloration, but are otherwise new.

The problem that you're describing is actually that NOS does not mean mint or perfect condition.

There are so many Powell & Peralta factory 2nd run/ blemish decks that were sold to a warehouse in China and later sold and released as collectables. The items are certainly new old stock, but each one of them have a blemish significant enough to qualify as a blemish and be marked and sold aftermarket as such.
slavadov
Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
So, did I destroy the NOS-ness of these wheels by putting bearings in them and attaching them to trucks?

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee...e/0723102047c.jpg
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee...e/0723102047b.jpg
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee...e/0723102047a.jpg
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee...e/0723102046a.jpg

They've touched concrete twice...Once when I unwrapped them and set them on the floor to set up the trucks, and once when I took those pictures last week.

If they're not NOS, what the hell are they?

strohsbro2
Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
lightly used

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:46 am Reply with quote
strohsbro2 wrote:
lightly used

Even if they're not used at all?

Page 2 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next