SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  Ask Skinny
Page 5 of 9    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Ask Skinny

skinny
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:48 pm Reply with quote
It is a great setup. If you get that Chris you will be ahead of the game for sure.
TRUpah
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:32 am Reply with quote
check these guys out mad info....

http://www.rmt.net/comm/multisp/index.htm

http://www.rmt.net/comm/cnchead/index.htm

http://www.rmt.net/reynolds/index.htm
TRUpah
Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:55 am Reply with quote
whit that second link it almost looks like you can just get two drill presses two heads build a jig set em up and bam! start drillin till your blue in the face wont cost a lot either.
what you guys think?
waxux
Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Uhoh, I need help! I got over anxious in waiting to pull the form off of a newly poured mold, came off easyily but the concrete was still way green.
Like a moron I spun the board the mold is sitting on 180 and broke the damn thing on the end at the base of the kick.
Can I use the same concrete as a motar and re cast
this thing or do I start over bra? If it can be glued up, should I do it now or wait for a further cure? If anyone cna help I would surely be thankfull.
skinny
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:07 am Reply with quote
felonsk8
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:22 pm Reply with quote
hey im just wondering about molds. right now were using a 50/50 mix of silica sand and cold resin epoxy for our molds. but i was wondering if you guys have any other methods that work good that are easy to shape?
lessthancivil
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:39 pm Reply with quote
been hit with a choice. hire folks to meet project demands or look at improved methods for production.
i am currently looking at renting time from a gentleman who owns one of these:

as well as an 8 spindle multiaxis vacuum bed machine.

after crunching the numbers, my labor, material and mold/shape development and finishing costs go down without actually having to purchase the equipment.

if you live near any kind of manufacturing base including cabinet shops, you may want to consider the folks who invest in this kind of equipment because they are looking for you since every minute these machines sit idle, it costs them bigtime.
felonsk8
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:45 pm Reply with quote
hey so these shops do molds?
lessthancivil
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:23 am Reply with quote
the ability to make molds is going to depend on the creativity of you, your cad jockey (if not one in the same), the equipment and the shop owner.

i make a fair number of molds for different projects using end grain ply woods, plaster and sand.

most of my molds halves for wood laminating are under 6".

simplified, my molds are built using a three step (four if you count design) process.

- the mold is built like this:

1) induhvidual pcs are roughed from the plywood
2) the rough pcs are assembled working off of the press plate side as the index
3) the mold is finish shaped and true-mated between the halves.

by hand, this process usually takes me about a week to get the first proof blank out to my satisfaction (two pcs of roll paper over the material need to have consistent glue lines) the majority of the time is in the truing of the mold halves followed by material prep.

the cnc approach takes that three step process down to less than a day with most time spent on programming the job and assembling the mold pcs.

cost has been the biggest hurdle so far. machine time for the shop i mentioned earlier is $100-125/hour.

the material removal rates on even low-end machines beats my time spent doing prep and truing by hand by a huge factor so the cost is justified.

frank got me started on drawing with adobe illustrator. four kids, a hyperactive wife (woohoo), jobs coming through the door right now to do some historical reproduction mill work bombed me with the need to use and do dxf drawing files so once that requirement showed up, a ten minute conversation with the local cabinet equipment supplier netted three names of shops with cnc machines that were hungry for work.

frank had told me about the gang drill (i currently use templates and a honking drill press) which got me to thinking about how much money to invest in upgrading my shop.

if all i was building was skateboards, might have gone that way. with the other jobs showing up, i was forced to reconsider.
sir_squeal
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:43 am Reply with quote
That pic that lessthancivil posted is a shopbot. I'm their IT support consultant. I've talked to the guys about cutting decks. They have a couple of uncut blanks left over from testing they did for a potential client. I think it would work great once you figure out how to mount the blanks in the machine.

I keep daydreaming about getting them to cut me a custom deck....

www.shopbottools.com

Page 5 of 9    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next