SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  B.O.N.O.S.A.  »  What makes you want a deck?
Page 2 of 5    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What makes you want a deck?

coloradotiff
Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I would have to say nostalgia - decks I remember from when I was a kid, decks my brothers and boyfriends had...I used to say I was going to marry Tony Hawk someday, so, I always smile when I look at our Hawks. I was more of a longboarder/mountainboarder/snowboarder..
A cruiser you could say -
I always sucked at skating, but, growing up that's all I was ever around so it is still fitting that I enjoy collecting old decks. My husband was the little punk back then so I suppose the collection is more for him..?/
I think the rider is probably the biggest deciding factor for us...I dunno.
big.kahuna.burger
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:33 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 19 Jan 2002 Posts: 15613 Location: Melbs dude... Melbs
reasoning:

1) decks i used to skate (in the case of almost all of my OS decks)
2) graphics (in the case of the NS decks)

hmmm. no other reasons really.

Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:48 am Reply with quote
for me...childhood memories is definitely key! its gotta have history behind it. something in the line of dogtown, now know as bulldog. skate history in the making? what more can you ask for? i think of them as an investment. aside from that, legendary skaters like jay adams,shogo,alva,wally etc. you know, the real true skate professionals. not like these modern day tech guys. its all about roots & style.heres a perfect example...dogtown today isn't jack shit! when wes left, he took everything & anything that was 100% dogtown in his palms. now its just another mainstream popsicle dist. co. the riders, art, history is went right out the window! ya feel me on this?
The_Vicar
Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:52 am Reply with quote
I like to try and get boards I used to ride like a Vato Rat, Skull and Sword, 6-ply Hawk, Steadham (thank-you George Powell for bringing them back), G&S Coffee Break Blender (mine was clear, sweet), many faces Blender, I still have my FP Mountain (XT Boneite though). The Powell re-issues are awesome, and I have been collecting them all. So for me it's the nostaglia of it that makes me come back.

Graphics play a factor yes, as Powell had some cool ass graphics back in the day. No offence to Cliver.

I have been thinking about trying to get hooked up with old freestyle decks and hardware now - for no other reason than to freak out the kids at the skateshop.
dancinwithdeath
Posted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:51 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
i started collecting the decks i had as a kid that my dad threw away during heavy punishments [get grounded from leaving the house and skating in general, also never learned what they were trying to teach me]. Then I started collecting the decks that I wanted but never got due to the punishments. Then started getting boards that I loved that my friends had that I never got because you didn't want to get something someone else had back then. dont think i'll get them all, but i'll die tryin'
THUGFROM87
Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I choose mostly Powell. I skated a Tony Hawk
street, the black one, and a Vision PunkSkull. Now I skate a re-release of the Ripper. I like the old decks, for nostalgia. I hate the new popsicle sticks. they are too small for me.
dushoni
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:53 am Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Jul 2004 Posts: 2224 Location: The Foot Of DavO's Bed
1. Decks I had as a kid. (Jason Jesse Neptune deck, Salba Tiger deck)

2. Decks that I admired as a kid. I remember growing up in LA county (west Covina to be exact), my mom would go shopping at the Marshalls at the Puente Hills Mall and I would run to the Tilley's and spend an hour just staring at the boards. I remember pining for the Corey O'Brien Reaper deck and the Ray Barbee Ragdoll deck. The Per Welinder and most of the Dogtown boards were magnificent works of art.
OmahaSk8r1973
Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:00 am Reply with quote
what makes you want a deck is when you can't afford it. nothing makes you want a skateboard more than that!!!
Eggman-stepford13
Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:13 am Reply with quote
The SHAPE!!!!!! I love those 1977-1979 shapes. 8" x 30",9" x 30" and of course 10 inch pigs.They just fucking rule! I don't care about graphics so much.It never stopped me from buying a deck.I went to school with Mark Gonzales for awhile and I Totally respected his deck art,but never cared for it.It was too urban for me.Southgate CA,where he was living at the time,was super Gheto and still kinda is.I grew up in Downey(home to the oldest Mc Donalds) which was a bedroom community.8:00 p.m..........Light's out,lock your doors,and live in fear til the sun comes up! This might have had some influence on my deck style?Fuck,who knows! Nice wood,cool shape,square tail = happiness!
This is my opinion,I could be wrong.
Eggman
skinny
Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:14 am Reply with quote
I think that I am performance oriented. I check the shape, then the concave, and last the graphics. I love the older decks of my days 1983- now, but I am not a collector. I would love to own my first real deck,(grosso demon). I am brand specific about trucks Indys only.

Anyway i make the best decks anywhere so i dont shop for them anymore

Page 2 of 5    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next